Notice to NARA Researchers and FOIA Requesters
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of our staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment as well as a substantive response to your reference or FOIA request or appeal. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience. Read more on how NARA is addressing COVID-19 (coronavirus) https://www.archives.gov/coronavirus.
Many historic photographs and audio/video materials are already in the public domain and available online. These materials do not require permission and/or licensing for use.
Please credit: Courtesy Barack Obama Presidential Library. (See the Resources section, below, for links to publicly available records.)
About our Holdings
The audiovisual materials of the Barack Obama Presidential Library predominantly include materials from President Obama's time in the White House. For information on pre-and post-presidential audiovisual records, please contact the Office of Barack and Michelle Obama.
Requests for autographed photos should be directed to the Office of Barack and Michelle Obama.
How can I request records not yet available for public research?
Anyone may request access to presidential records not yet available for public research by submitting a written Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) request. FOIA requests can be submitted by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org; additional guidance and tips on submitting FOIA requests can be found here. (Audiovisual materials at the Barack Obama Presidential Library are subject to the requirements of the Presidential Records Act and Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).)
Many historic photographs and audio/video materials are already in the public domain and available online. These materials do not require permission and/or licensing for use. Please credit: Courtesy Barack Obama Presidential Library.
- Archived White House Website
- Archived White House “Photos of the Day” slideshows
- Archived White House Flickr Photostream
- Archived White House YouTube Channel
- Archived White House Twitter Feed
- Archived White House Instagram
- Archived White House Facebook Page
- Archived White House Medium Page
- Archived White House Tumblr
- Obama White House Social Media Archive
- The National Archives Catalog
- Gather all available information about the image; and if possible, find the filename (the “P” number found in the caption or details).
- Provide a specific description of the image, video, or audio clip, including date, location, topic, and if possible, the URL for each web page that contains the requested material.
- Email this information plus your name, phone number, email, and mailing address, as well as the format and delivery preferences to email@example.com.
- Fees will apply. Payment may be made by credit card or check made out to “NATF.”
- Orders may also be placed by phone, fax, or mail.
Barack Obama Presidential Library
2500 W. Golf Road
Hoffman Estates, IL 60169-1114
Phone: (847) 252-5731
Fax: (847) 252-5799