Notice to NARA Researchers and FOIA Requesters
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic and pursuant to guidance received from the Office of Management and Budget (OMB), NARA has adjusted its normal operations to balance the need of completing its mission-critical work while also adhering to the recommended social distancing for the safety of our staff. As a result of this re-prioritization of activities, you may experience a delay in receiving an initial acknowledgment as well as a substantive response to your reference or FOIA request or appeal. We apologize for this inconvenience and appreciate your understanding and patience. Read more on how NARA is addressing COVID-19 (coronavirus) https://www.archives.gov/coronavirus.
Many historic photographs, including audio or video materials, are already in the public domain and available online. These materials do not require permission and/or licensing for use. When using these materials, please credit "Courtesy Barack Obama Presidential Library."
Please note that the audiovisual archive of the Barack Obama Presidential Library only holds materials from President Obama's time in the White House. We do NOT maintain pre-and post-presidential audiovisual records. Please contact the Office of Barack and Michelle Obama for these records.
How can I request records not yet available for public research?
Audiovisual materials at the Barack Obama Presidential Library are subject to the Presidential Records Act (PRA) and Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) requirements. Anyone may request access to Presidential records not yet available for public research by submitting a written FOIA request. Additional guidance and tips on submitting FOIA requests can be found here.
- Gather all available information about the image; and if possible, find the filename which is the “P” number found in the caption or details. Example: (P051909LJ-0130)
- Provide a specific description of the image, video, or audio clip, including date, location, topic, and if possible, the URL for each web page that contains the requested material.
- Email this information plus your name, phone number, email, and mailing address, as well as the format and delivery preferences to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Fees will apply. Payment may be made by credit card or check made out to “NATF.”
- Orders may also be placed by phone, fax, or mail.
Barack Obama Presidential Library
2500 W. Golf Road
Hoffman Estates, IL 60169-1114
Phone: (847) 252-5731
Fax: (847) 252-5799
Additional Audiovisual Resources
There are many free, easily accessible, resources available for the public to access. The following sites can be used for research on historic photographs, including audio or video materials, in the public domain and available online. These materials do not require permission and/or licensing for use. When using these materials, please credit "Courtesy Barack Obama Presidential Library."
- Archived White House Website
- Archived White House “Photos of the Day” slideshows
- Archived White House Flickr Photostream
- Archived White House YouTube Channel
- Archived White House Twitter Feed
- Archived White House Instagram
- Archived White House Facebook Page
- Archived White House Medium Page
- Archived White House Tumblr
- Obama White House Social Media Archive
- The National Archives Catalog